Excel Error: There was a problem sending the command to the program
Consider the following scenario:
You double-click a short-cut to an Excel file located on your desktop or any other location
The Microsoft Excel application starts, but the Excel file does not open and you receive an error message.
The error message may be different depending on the version of Windows you are using.
In Windows Vista, you may see this error message:
In Windows XP, you may see this error message:
Microsoft Excel 2010 and 2013
- Click the File tab, and then click Options.
- Click Advanced, scroll down to the General section and clear the Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) check box in the General area.
- Click OK
Microsoft Excel 2007
- Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Excel Options.
- Click Advanced, and clear the Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) check box in theGeneral area.
- Click OK.
Microsoft Excel 2003 or earlier versions of Excel
- Click Options, on the Tools menu.
- Click the General tab.
- Clear the Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) check box, and then click OK.
After you do this, you should be able to open workbooks by double-clicking them in Windows .