Many users face problem while disabling the Windows Automatic Update on Windows 7. Even last time my bro called me and asked me how to do this. Now you may wonder what’s the big deal in just disabling it from the Windows Update Center from Control Panel. Basically, the thing is that when we disable it from the Windows Update Center, only a part of it gets disabled. But Windows Update still starts automatically and eats up some of your precious bandwidth…
So we are going to discuss how to permanently disable Windows Update from Windows 7. After this tweak Windows 7 update service will not start at all… So you don’t have to worry about any excess bandwidth usage… [Recommended Reading: 5 tips to lower your broadband usage over internet]
#1: Disabling from Windows Update Center:
This is a easier step and you might be aware of it. Anyways for those who don’t know, here are the steps…
- Go to Start Menu > Control Panel and switch to large icon view
- Now at the end of the list click on “Windows Update”
- Windows Update panel will pop up.Now select the “Let me choose my settings” option
- Now under “Important Updates” section click on the dropdown menu and select the “Never Check for Updates” option.
- Apply all changes [Just press OK] and you are done
#2: Disabling from the Administrative Tools:
In this step we will disable the Automatic Update service from the administrative tools. This will permanently stop it and will prevent it from being started on each start up. So after this tweak, you don’t have to worry about Automatic Updates anymore…
Caution: Doing so will make any program depending on Windows Update API [WUA] stop working. So it is not recommended if you use such program. [But I will recommend you to do this if you want to save your bandwidth!]
So here is how to do it:
- Go to Control Panel before and switch to Icon View as before.Now click on the “Administrative Tools” icon.
- From the Administrative Tools double click on “Services”.This will open up the Service panel.
- Now scroll down to the list and find and select “Windows Update”.While selecting it take a look on the left sidebar panel. If there is something like “Stop the Service” simply click on it.Else just ignore this step.
- Now right click on Windows Updateand go to Properties.
- Now under the Startup Type from the Properties Window select the Disabled option from the dropdown menu.
- Hit OK and save everything